Sunday, March 16, 2014

Fortunately, we haven't had an emergency to set one off, but some serious testing shows that they are very sensitive and quick to respond. I bought a set of three, placed them, and felt so good about them that I bought three more.Zircon 63931 Leak Alert Electronic Water Detector Batteries Included, 3-Pack



While putting them together, I touched both contacts with my finger and the alarm went off. If it's sensitive enough to activate from that, water won't be a problem. We have built-in water alarms for our security system, but I wanted to monitor some additional areas without going through the whole installation process. I just need to remember to replace the batteries regularly.



My insurance does not cover water leaks and when I heard this detector beeping, I quickly checked under my sink and spotted the drip which soon enough would have been a flood. I repaired the water line and was grateful the Zircon Water Leak Detector was doing it's job!!

We bought these after our washer leaked during a downpour (so we didn't hear the leak). Of course, we haven't needed them since. We tested them by spilling water on the floor around them, and they work. I did accidentally spill a glass of water, and it went off. It's quite loud and annoying (as it should be). My one complaint is that one night, one of them went off with a false alarm. I was awoken from a deep sleep and ran all the way into the basement, my heart pounding with fear as I wondered what watery mess awaited me, and...nothing. I guess I'd rather have a false alarm than no alarm at all, but still...

For the money, they will do the job. The only thing to point out is that these, like any water alarm, work when little metal prongs on the bottom come into contact with water. So you could conceivably have a water spill two inches away, but if it doesn't reach the water alarm, it will not get activated. Because these are inexpensive, we bought a lot of them and put them anywhere we're likely to need them--sink, washer, sump pump, etc.

We depended for years on the one we first purchased, it stopped working and we were frantic to have it replaced, could only get on Amazon, we ordered two, two days waiting was like an eternity ! We were so happy they came so quickly, and now have a back up! Hope that we'll always be able to find again if ever needed, we live by a creek and need to know if the sump pump should fail, Zircon water alarm has always been our godsend!

We have an extraordinarily active toddler who loves to play in the sinks upstairs. Our home also happens to have one of the dumbest types of sinks I've ever seen in my life - ones with no overflow protection, in upstairs bathrooms no less! C'mon home builders, really? I'm no nanny-state proponent but I can't believe that's not a code violation. It's certainly a common sense violation though, so shame on Pulte Homes for installing such a thing up there in the first place.

I don't suppose I have to explain what happens when a toddler who loves water stops up a sink and keeps the water running while he's "washing his hands." After an event or two though, I looked around for some sort of alarm and found these Zircon units. They fit the bill perfectly. My little guy is terrified of them, and since they were "installed" on the bathroom floors it only took a couple of subsequent events (that consisted of spilled water, alarm sounding, and him tearing out of the bathroom like he saw the boogeyman) for him to agree with me that water on the floor is a bad thing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment